Click on Next Art or directly on an image.
Gabriola Palette People is an informal art group that was formed many years ago to provide an inclusive and creative art environment where members come together regularly to develop their artistic skills. Members get together once or twice weekly to create art using watercolour, acrylic, oil paints or mixed media.
Known as 'Palette People', the objectives of this art group are to:
- Provide an opportunity for members to meet and practice their visual art skills.
- Ensure that all members enjoy this association in an inclusive, safe and respectful environment.
- Provide workshops at a reasonable fee to help the members develop new skills.
- Encourage members at all levels of skill to increase their potential by constructive observations in a congenial atmosphere.
- Arrange for at least one show a year of members’ art work where the public may purchase pictures.
- Provide members with an opportunity to buy basic art supplies through group purchase.
December's Exhibit at the Rollo Centre - Animals and Insects
January's Exhibit - Abstracts (to be hung January 8th)
- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -
Christmas Party 2018!
ART Chat Cafe - four times a year scheduled for a Friday of the month 10-12 noon.
November 23, 2018
Anette Lorek Childrens Author will talk about how she published her book.
She will be joined by Nola Johnston who was the graphic artist for the book, she will exlain how she has created images for publication in her career as a graphic artist.
December 28, 2018
The Group of Several will give a presentation on the Klimt Projects.
FALL WORKSHOP 2018
'Colour Essentials' Workshop #2
Instructor - Lalita Hamill, SFCA, http://lalitahamill.com
Date - Oct. 26-28th, 2018 at Rollo Centre on Gabriola sland; 9 to 4PM
Cost - $145.00 CDN for the weekend for Gabriola Palette People Active Members; $155.00 for non-Members
Lunch - Bring your own lunch
Medium - Acrylic or oil (see supply list below)
What kind of look/feel do you want in your paintings? Do you want to be sure of Values? Do you want crisp clarity? Softness? Do you want colours to be completely mixed beforehand or to mix on the canvas? Or both?
For those wanting to improve their brushwork technique, this workshop consists of exercises, studies and demos specifically designed to help you develop key colour knowledge and skills. Techniques will include the following: Mixing a 9 level grey scale, mixing greyed colours and mixing bright colours of the same painting with the exact same values.
Attention will also be given to creating a specific mood and an interesting eye flow within your work by using a variety of hard, soft, lost and found edges as well as uncovering your personal ‘style’. Participants may use either oil or acrylic mediums.
FOR MORE WORKSHOP INFORMATION, CONTACT: JudithMadsen: email@example.com
Gabriola Palette People Workshop Registration, Payment, Wait List and Cancellation Policy
Please notify the Workshop Coordinator when you want to register for a workshop by email or in person at a meeting at Rollo Centre.
A deposit of $25.00 is required at time of registration to hold a spot for you. Payment of the remaining workshop fee is required 30 days in advance of the workshop start date (Amount to be determined for each workshop, please see the applicable Workshop announcement).
Payment by cheque should be made to Gabriola Palette People. We do not accept post-dated cheques. Mail or hand-deliver cheque to the Palette People Treasurer: Name and address
Each Painting Workshop has been priced on the basis of a minimum number of members required to cover the costs of facilitating the workshop. If, after you have paid in full, you find you are unable to attend, there are two options:
- You may find your own substitute in which case any financial transaction is between you and your substitute.
- We will gladly refund your workshop fees if we are able to replace you from a waiting list.
In the event that a registrant for a workshop has an unexpected crisis due to illness, accident or death in the family, a request to the Executive may be made to forego the cancellation penalties.
In the event that a workshop you wish to take is full, you can choose to be placed on a waiting list by contacting the workshop coordinator. Any positions that may open up will be filled based on the date of placement on the wait list. If we are unable to contact you, we will move to the next listed individual.
If We Cancel:
In the unlikely event that we or the instructor need to cancel a workshop, all fees that have been collected will be fully refunded.
2018 Executive Board
Barbara Hague, President
Ken Manninen, Vice-President
Maxine McRae, Past-President
Anne Havard/Jenny Feenan, Secretary
Cathie Compton, Treasurer and Membership
Judith Madsen, Workshops
Ken Manninen, Communications
Erika Hammond, Display and Art Hanging
Christine Velsen, Archives
Shows and Events
- January - Abstracts
685 North Road, Gabriola Island
Regular Art Sessions
- Art sessions are held on Tuesdays and Fridays from 9 to 12 pm. Members may paint on Tuesday and Friday afternoons until 4 pm provided the Gabriola Senior Citizens’ Association does not require use of the Rollo Centre. Members may use oil paints either day provided that the oil paints are water-soluble or odorless solvents are used.
- At all sessions, including workshops, members are expected to help set up and take down tables, stack chairs, sweep the floor and take turns in keeping the kitchen in order (i.e.: coffee urn, dishwasher).
- At all sessions members are required to check off the sheet, which indicates attendance and payment of the levy for the use of the Rollo Centre ($2.00 for members and $5.00 for visitors or non-members after attending twice at no charge). It is requested that this be done immediately upon arrival. The Senior Citizen’s Association expects an accounting from each meeting.
- To avoid disturbing painters throughout the Tuesday sessions, any business to be transacted should be taken care of at 10:30 am. This includes announcements, guest introductions, payment of fees and the purchasing of supplies, etc.
The Gabriola Palette people show at:
- The Professional Wellness Center on North Road, in the Doctors' office.
- Monthly at the Seniors Rollo Center with a theme show each hanging.
- The Port Theatre 2 or 3 times a year in rotation with the Photography club.
- The annual Summer showcase in July
- Every second year, there is a show at the Professional Centre in their Gallery.
Bylaws, Standing Rules, Committees and Roles
Committees and Roles
Members of this organization shall be:
- Active – paid up members who have attended at least one Annual General Meeting (AGM) and/or Business Meeting a year and at least 6 regular art sessions a year
- Associate – paid up members who have an interest in the group and who do not meet the criteria of an active member
Eligibility for membership:
- It is not necessary to be a Senior, age 55 or older, to be a member of Palette People.
- Potential members may come for two (2) sessions before applying for membership
- Members must also become members of the Gabriola Senior Citizens’ Association
- To demonstrate their commitment to be eligible to retain membership in Palette People, members shall be kind, courteous, polite and respectful to each other at all times.
- Annual fee payable by active members is $20.
- Annual fee payable by associate members is $10.
- The membership year will be from January 1st to December 31st. If a new member joins on August 1 or later, the fee will be $7.50
- Fees are due for both the Gabriola Senior Citizen’s Association and the Gabriola Palette People by March 31st.
- The Gabriola Senior Citizens’ Association levies a nominal charge for use of the hall to each member attending an art session or workshop.
- All Active paid up members shall have the privileges of the organization, including voting.
- All Associate paid up members shall have the same privileges as active members except as defined under the Standing Rules.
- Longstanding Active members, who for health reasons and other extenuating circumstances are unable to attend requisite meetings and art sessions, at the discretion of the Executive, may participate in shows and workshops and vote as Active members. A written request must be made to the Executive.
Ken Manninen: www.KenManninen.com
Anne Havard: www.annehavard.artistwebsites.com
Esther Robison: www.Esther Robison.com
Judith Madsen: www.JudithMadsen.com
Barbara Hague: www.BarbHague.com
British Columbia, Canada
Web Address: http://www.GabriolaPalettePeople.ca